Monday, February 27, 2012

Sew Sew

Guess what I got for Valentine's Day....a new sewing machine!  Thanks to my sweet hubby!  My mom's old machine has served me well for the last few years and I am grateful for getting to use it. I may have finally pushed ol' bessy to her limit though. So, time for a new one. I LOVE my new machine. I am already spoiled with it.  Here is my new beauty:



I have already broken it in a bit by completing a few items on my "need to sew" project list (the list is a long one!). I finally got around to sewing little pillows for both of the boys. I made Carter a pillow a couple years ago that he takes with him everywhere and sleeps with every night...it is his "comfort thing". I made it with polyfill though and it is just not holding up very well. So, time to make a new and improved pillow. As I suspected though, he wants nothing to do with his new pillow, he just wants what we now call "old pillow" (I would like to call it "old, disgusting, used to be but is no longer white, pillow"). I am hoping "new pillow" will grow on him. This is Carter's new pillow:




I also made one for Cole. He likes to play with Carter's pillow whenever he can which does not go over well with big brother..."NNNOOO baby Cole!"....so I decided he needed one of his own. It is still much more fun, however, to take brother's than play with his own:). Here is Cole's pillow:





So two new pillows, neither of which get used! Oh well, at least they are cute "accents":). They are very comfortable pillows if I may say so myself. I used an old down pillow to make them. I cut the old down pillow in two and sewed each end shut (it looked like it was snowing outside when I cut it because of all of the small feathers blowing around). Then I made a pillow case for each and I was done.

My latest project was a ruffled scarf for my mother-in-law. I have made several ruffled scarves before but I experimented with a new technique this time. In the past, I have used elastic thread to create the ruffles. This time I did a loose stitch down the middle, pulled the thread through to make my own ruffles and then stitched them in place. I am not sure which method I like better yet. Here is how the scarf turned out:





Now to complete the other 739 sewing projects...some day:)! Maybe on the next project I will be on the ball enough to actually take step-by-step pictures.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate All of your talent, daughter-in-law, and I think the new scarf looks great. I also want to acknowledge that your "wife and mother" skills are remarkable too! The pillows are cute... may the Lord give you strength for your journey. Love, mother-in-law, Beth.

    ReplyDelete