Monday, February 27, 2012

Carter's Room

Well, I have given you a taste of my style with different (random) parts of my home...I thought it was about time to show you a bedroom. I will start with my favorite bedroom in the house, Carter's room.  When we first moved in, I was pregnant with Carter so we prepared one room as the nursery and the other room we just set up as a guest room. So when Carter was born, he moved straight into the nursery (he seriously only slept in our room for like 3 days...which was still 3 days more than Cole did:)) and that was his room up until about 4-5 months before we had Cole. When Caleb and I knew we were having another baby, we thought it would be a lot easier for the nursery to stay the nursery (it is gender neutral) and make the guest room Carter's big boy room.

Since we didn't want Carter to feel like he was getting kicked out of his room, we made a really big deal out of his new room and kept him very involved in the process of transforming the room. We also made sure to make the move to the new room long before little brother was born so there would not be too much change at one time. Praise the Lord, the switch went wonderfully and Carter has loved his new room from day 1!

Here is what Carter's room looked like before we moved in (previous owner's furniture etc.):



Pretty drab right? Wish I had gotten more pictures but you can see there was nothing special about this room.

Here are some progress pictures from when we were installing the board and batten on the walls:




Here is Carter's room now (be prepared for LOTS of pictures)...the color is the same as the progress pictures but it looks different in these pictures...









































What do you think? It is always a challenge making kids' rooms cute and not too cluttered with toys! We have most of his big toys in the closet and the small ones are in the various baskets you see around the room. I also tried not to make his room too " themey" with airplanes galore because I didn't want him (or me) to get tired of it or feel like he would outgrow it too fast. So, I tried to keep a balance with just airplane accents (hanging airplane, framed airplanes pics, propeller on the shelf, flight instructing sign, instruments on his nightstand and dresser etc.). It still looks like a colorful, fun kid's room...just not over the top. At least that's my opinion:). Hope you enjoyed Carter's room!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely precious!! You are totally hitting the ball out of the park with every room you've shown us. Love your style AND mad skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelieveable! It looks awesome, Abbie!

    ReplyDelete