Thursday, January 26, 2012

Decorating Themes

Happy Thursday!  I had hoped to get pictures posted today of my dining room, but all the pictures I took yesterday did not turn out well.  It was a bit dreary out when I tried to take the photos so my house felt a bit gloomy when looking at the pictures.  I will try again today since the sun is out...hopefully it will make for better lighting. Maybe by tomorrow I can get some more before and afters posted.  In the meantime, I thought I would prepare you for a few decorating themes that you will start to see throughout the rest of my house.

Theme 1- LAYERING
I love to layer things, mostly frames.  It is almost obsessive. I sometimes feel like if something is not layered, then it is not complete!

Theme 2- H
I love the letter "H" (for Hasler, of course).  It is all over my house.  It is like I don't want people to forget whose house it is!  My husband even commented on it one time...something like "you're not going to put another H there, are you?"  Hmmm, I am sure I did put another H there:).

Theme 3- BOOKS
You will see that I add a stack of books to most spaces.  I LOVE using books to decorate!  Old books are ideal, but otherwise, I just take the cover off one of our hardback books and voila, decoration!  Usually, I'll top it off with either a vase or a candle to add a bit of height.

Theme 4- THREES
One final theme...I like things in "threes".  Three books, three vases, three frames, three candles, or whatever else I am decorating with!  Is there some kind of "rule of odds" when decorating?  Not sure, but in my house it is the "rule of threes" (not to be confused with the rule of thirds:)).  I have actually gotten a bit better about this one (it is much cheaper when you don't have to buy three of everything you like).  Don't worry though, you will still see plenty of this theme running throughout my house.

Can't leave you without a picture, so here is a picture of one my favorite pieces of furniture in our house.  It is an antique from Caleb's side of the family.  That, however, is not why I am showing you this picture. Once you have marveled at the beautiful antique:), notice the accessorizing...three vases, a stack of books with a vase, the letter "h", and some layering action...TOLD YOU!


There is much more where that came from!  Check back in soon!

1 comment:

  1. You're so cute! I can't wait to see every inch of your house! :)

    ReplyDelete