Friday, September 21, 2012

Thrifting Update

Can you believe I am already back for another blog post? Three posts in less than two weeks...a record for me (sad record, I know). Hey, while I am on a roll, I am going to get as many posts in as I can. As a mom of little ones, I don't get "on a roll" very often so I will take advantage (yes, I consider this to be on a roll;)). Now, if only I could get on a roll with cleaning, organizing and exercising, etc. ;-)

A few months ago, I showed you guys some of my thrift store purchases and I told you to "check back in" for an update on how I changed those items and where they ended up in my home. After months of moving things around and moving them around again, I think I found "the right spot" for each piece (at least for now;)). Accessorizing is always "trial and error" for me. I start by putting an accessory in a place I think it will look good...sometimes I know right away it's wrong...sometimes I know right away that it's right...and sometimes I have to just leave it there for a few days (or weeks) to decide if I like it or not. Anyway, for these accessories, after all their shuffling, I think I am finally happy with how each of them turned out and where each of them ended up!  Let's start with looking back at THIS POST to see what these pieces looked when I brought them home in their original (ugly) state.

Here are each of the items now:

First up is the small glass thingamajig (have no idea what to call it...it's terrarium meets cake stand). I spray painted the base white and filled it with faux "moss rocks". It is currently in the kitchen, on top of my stove. Here is how it turned out...






Next is the large wooden frame. I removed the lion painting (what? how could you? ;-)) and gave the frame a facelift by painting (dry brushing) it white. It is hanging as an open frame in my entryway on my new chalkboard wall. I am definitely going to redo the arrangement of the house rules but I will update you on that in a later post.


Here is a closer look at the dry brushing...it has more of a distressed look with this technique.


Next are the two wooden candle holders that used to be painted gold...look at the two outside candle sticks with the round candles wrapped with twine.


Up close...








Below is the former brass candle stick...this one I spray painted white and also rubbed a little distressed ink to make it look older (hard to tell in the pictures)...








And lastly, the brass tin...I spray painted it -you'll never guess---white ;) on the outside and I left the inside unpainted.



So, which one is your favorite? Which do you think was the biggest transformation from before to after? Can anyone tell I that like white ;)? When in doubt, paint it white! Hope you like my new and improved (and white;)) thrift store pieces. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite is the white frame with the chalkboard painted wall behind it! Despite the lion previously being in that frame (Go lions/SACS!), it indeed looks much better without! ;) I wish you could come visit me and help me re-do my house. I have done some of the painting and now will do more of the decorating fun of it. I need to get some pictures of all the transformation thus far! Your house is amazing! I am jealous of your decorating skills! So much talent!

    ReplyDelete