Friday, September 14, 2012

Flea Market Find

I love flea markets! Can I get an amen? Flea markets are certainly not for everyone (Caleb would consider them some form of torture)...I guess you either love them or you hate them. I love them (as I already said;)). Last weekend, I had the great pleasure of getting to have a "girl's day out" (thank you, Caleb!) with one of my closest friends, Lyndsie. (I just can't bring myself to use the phrase "one of my besties"...I know that's what the kids are saying these days, but I am just not that cool. Hey, I own a pair of Tom's, that's enough 'cool' for me;)). Anyway, Lyndsie and I decided to hit up a nearby flea market. We had so much fun browsing and so much fun buying! In the midst of our browsing and buying, we stumbled upon a full size bed that was priced at 5$. Neither of us was needing a bed, and the bed was in need of a serious makeover, but for 5$? We couldn't pass it up. Our plan was simple: buy it, paint and distress it, and resale it on craigslist for more money. So that's what we did (we are still in the process of selling it, so cross your fingers;)).

Here is our little labor of love:
(unfortunately, I forgot to take pics of her before her little makeover....it was a honey stained bed that someone had attempted to paint black, but it just had one coat of paint so it was very streaky and uneven)

The after...


















Our process---
1. Sanded all surfaces with an electric sander
2. Painted two coats of latex paint (crystal aqua by valspar) using paint brushes
3. Waited for the paint to dry (mostly...we are both impatient;))
4. Distressed the corners and edges and curves by sanding until we achieved our desired look (we also used an electric sander for this step).
5. Wiped on a homemade glaze (brown craft paint mixed with water) with a rag
6. Wiped off the excess glaze with a damp rag (once again, wiped it until we achieved our desired look)
And DONE!

Well, what do you think? Wouldn't it be so cute in a little girl's room? If you are wondering about our awesome backdrop for the bed in the pictures, the pictures were taken in one of the rooms in Lyndsie's house. The room has an old fence wood wall treatment done by Lynds and her hubby, Cory. It is as awesome in person as it looks in the photo! Oh, and in case you were also wondering, the rest of our girl's day consisted of eating and more shopping. Lots of shopping (flea market, thrift shop, local boutique, Goodwill, estate sale, Garden Ridge Pottery, Hancock Fabrics and Home Depot)....our husbands' worst nightmare!

Night night!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment